Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Zandalee - finally!


Nicolas Cage only made one movie in 1991, and this was it.

He plays Johnny, a weird (is there any other kind?) painter who lands back in the life of his childhood friend, Thierry (Judge Reinhold), a former poet and professor, current (reluctant) business executive married to the titular Zandalee (Erika Anderson), who is bored and unfulfilled by her bored and unfulfilled husband.





For starters, the movie has more nudity in it than A) most movies, B) any on this list so far, so if that's a deal-breaker for you, move along.

Now that they're gone, I can tell you that I found this to actually be one of the best movies I've seen for this project so far. It's no Raising Arizona, obviously, and the reviewers at IMDB were collectively unimpressed, by the look of it, but I thought that it was compelling. It wasn't just a movie that is watched - it draws you in. There's probably a significant element of "if you let it" involved here - it'd be pretty easy for someone with a hate on for Our Hero to simply dismiss the scenes that he's in (IE most of them) or for someone to dismiss the whole movie as simply smut due to the (many) sex scenes.

All together, though, I thought it was great. I'm glad I watched it, and this is precisely the type of experience that this type of project is awesome for. I never would have heard of this movie otherwise, and now I've seen another film that I really enjoyed. Yay!

That's not to say you don't get to see Crazy Cage in it...


No comments:

Post a Comment